About Pictures

I've decided to go back and start marking which entries have pictures posted incase people want to browse. I'm marking the entries with pictures (P), with videos (V), and slideshows (S). Some of the slideshows won't work from this site after I change the title but you can still see the slideshow by clicking on "view all images".

Tuesday, April 14

I Am Mommy, Hear Me Roar

I'm reading a book called How to Have a New Kid by Friday (in 5 days). It's filled with some basic principles about parenting. The main theme...You're the parent, DUH! Take charge. Don't let them grow up dysfunctional because you spent their childhood trying to make them happy. The author takes about how many parents today try to create a "Disneyland Experience" for their children. I know that I haven't a clue how to be a parent. I know that there are physical needs that need to be met and that they need to be loved, but how do I shape them to be responsible adults with a sense of self-worth? WOW, that's pretty deep! Anyhoo...it's been a great read and things have been going well. I have not really yelled or spanked in several days. (Haylie was getting spanked AT LEAST once a day there for a while because I didn't know what else to do.) This book is awesome, totally recommend it. It's relevant for kids of all ages and it's written by a Christian (though there really is no mention of God other than once or twice, it's more of a practical guide with a firm foundation in common sense.)
Thanks also to the people who passed on advise.
The last chapter of the book (the whole thing is a short read) is called Fun Day (Friday) where you implement everything and watch the looks of confusion on the kids faces. Got to love that!

No comments: